Welcome to Stourbug – the friendly and social cycling club in Stourbridge.
We are a Stourbridge based cycling club, open to riders of all abilities across the area. We do all types of cycling including road, MTB, sportives, audax, tours, camping trips and many others.
Ride lengths vary and can be anything from 10 – 100+ miles. In all cases the length of the ride as well as its pace will be given in the ride details. In some cases, there may be a link to a GPS site so that the route, as well as the amount of climbing can be seen.
Off Road Rides
We have a growing group of keen off-roaders who organise local rides, and trips to places such as Cannock Chase, Llandegla, and other mountain bike centres.
Off Road Rides are graded as follows:
- Level 1 – Technical ride and/or covering long distance (up to 70 miles). It will include single track, for example, Forest of Dean and Cannock (car assisted). Average speed up to 12mph and several climbs depending on route. Examples are Clent, Kinver, Stourport, Dudmaston, Baggeridge etc. Riders need to be confident and competent as obstacles can include large steps and drop-ins, not to mention deep mud.
- Level 2 – Ride will include several climbs and some technical sections. This might include roots and rocky surfaces. Ideal for level 3 riders who wish to progress to a more challenging level. 20-30 miles.
- Level 3 – Relatively flat ride, not too technical although can be very muddy. Ideal for novices, people who haven’t ridden off-road for a while and those who wish to build confidence for level 2. 10-20 miles.
- Beginner– One-to-one sessions for total beginners and riders who want to build confidence/ability for level 3.
Our members ride many different events including:-
- Charity Rides – Provides an opportunity to dress up, and have some fun.
- Touring – Weekends away staying at YHA hostels, camping, B&Bs etc. From 25 miles and up to 100 miles per day.
- Overseas – A Spring time trip to the sun in Mallorca.
- Audax – Long distance cycling at its best. More details on the AUK website.
- Sportives – Longer rides often with lots of support and feeding stations. British Cycling offers lots of information.
Rides are arranged using the club’s forum – to see details and to book places on rides you have to be a member.
Frequently asked questions
Can anyone join?
- Yes! All adults welcome – we accept under 18’s but only when their parent/guardian joins the club. The parent/guardian must also ride with the junior member and will be responsible for them on the ride.
- £10 per annum for adults; £2 for under 18’s. Plus third party insurance.
What bike should I ride on a club run?
- The bike needs to suit the type of ride you want to take part in with suitable tyres. All types of bikes including e-bikes are welcome.
What should I bring with me on a club run?
- Check the weather forecast and travel as light as possible but bring enough to be comfortable and self-sufficient. As a minimum you should carry a bottle of water (ideally in a bottle cage on the bike frame), a spare inner tube, a pump, a snack such as a banana or cereal bar and a waterproof jacket. It’s more comfortable to carry items in a bag attached to the bike or in your pockets rather than in a backpack.
Do I have to wear a cycling helmet?
- It would be best if you do just to be safe, but it’s not mandatory. Some Ride Leaders will demand that a helmet is worn when being part on their ride.
Can I join Stourbug and use an e-bike?
- You can join Stourbug and there a number of club members that currently use e-bikes. The e-bike must be legal. It must only provide assistance when the pedals are being turned, have a motor where the output is no greater than 250Nm and the motor cuts out at 15.5mph.
Where can I find out more information about cycling with Stourbug?
- There is a lot of information about Cycling in Traffic, Cycling in Groups, Safety Factors, Must Haves For A Ride and Information About E-Bikes which can be found here on the website under the tab Members Corner.